Community

Forum

Greatest Hits gets November 3rd release date!

Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Just found this today while looking at the music forum I check every day:
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1290692

Comments

• Robert BowmanRobert Bowman M.I.A.
    edited August 2009
    Yeah you can pre order it here in the UK too at play.com
    Think it was £8.95 but no track listing or details!
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited August 2009
  • Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited August 2009
    And I'm sure no cd single for that right? I'm gonna be really bummed if they stop doing those. That's part of the fun is collecting all the cd imports with b-sides on them.
    edited August 2009
    And I'm sure no cd single for that right? I'm gonna be really bummed if they stop doing those. That's part of the fun is collecting all the cd imports with b-sides on them.

Who knows, i hope they don't dump the physical singles, like you say collecting those is great fun, especially still getting the 7".
    edited September 2009
    You can hear a 26 second sample of Wheels here (UK Only probably)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00mm125
    Just after 21 minutes in.

He said he's going to broadcast the whole song soon on Radio 1 when he has it, so Miki, you might want to record Zane Lowes show for the next few nights. ;)

EDIT:

They're also making a video, Sam Beyer directing again:
    http://www.videostatic.com/vs/2009/09/shot-foo-fighters-sam-brown-director.html
    edited September 2009
    WAV clip for all here:

http://www.fmqbproductions.net/epks/2009/foofighters/

Also note, digital single mentioned, nothing about a CD/7". :(
    edited September 2009
    Are there gonna be bonus tracks on the digital single? I'm afraid this is gonna happen more and more guys. My friends in the band Hit the Lights are on a bigger indie label and the label told them no more 7" singles and probably soon no more EPs. Their last record was an entirely digital release. Kind of a bummer but things are going to this now I'm afraid. Really is shitty for all of us collectors out there.
    edited September 2009
    Are there gonna be bonus tracks on the digital single? I'm afraid this is gonna happen more and more guys. My friends in the band Hit the Lights are on a bigger indie label and the label told them no more 7" singles and probably soon no more EPs. Their last record was an entirely digital release. Kind of a bummer but things are going to this now I'm afraid. Really is shitty for all of us collectors out there.

Not known at this point, but i really hope note. I always hoped the day would never come that i would be forced to buy a lossy MP3 download, just because it was the only place to get it.
  • Miki JohansenMiki Johansen Collaborator & Donator
    edited September 2009
    He said he's going to broadcast the whole song soon on Radio 1 when he has it, so Miki, you might want to record Zane Lowes show for the next few nights. ;)

Normally I would do it, but a couple of months ago my Radio 1 reception went shit, sounds like my provider boosted the shit out of the high frequencies. My provider though has finally opened up the digital tv/radio signal for free so I have Radio 1 as DVB-C, but I don´t have the right cable to connect my receiver to anything recordable..

Plus, it´s like what, 6 weeks until the albums out right? I can wait :)
    edited September 2009
    Ahh no worries, yeah it goes to radio at the end of the month anyway so it should be all over the place. I would record it myself, but i haven't setup the capture card in this PC yet, and it's still in the old one, which i don't have access to.
  • Nick HabermehlNick Habermehl Friend of a Friend
    edited September 2009
    Dutch Radio DJ Giel Beelen just aired a little clip of Wheels (yes the studio version) on TV saying he got a Illegal copy of the best of. he wouldn't reveal his source though.
    edited September 2009
    Dutch Radio DJ Giel Beelen just aired a little clip of Wheels (yes the studio version) on TV saying he got a Illegal copy of the best of. he wouldn't reveal his source though.

Look up to post #7. Methinks Mr Beelen is telling porkies. ;)
    edited September 2009
    Look up to post #7. Methinks Mr Beelen is telling porkies. ;)

Aw I thought I was onto something :P wonder why he just couldnt say everyone should get it on the interweb.
    edited September 2009
    Trying to get listeners no doubt. Surely that could backfire on him though, assuming he is on a national station?
    edited September 2009
    Trying to get listeners no doubt. Surely that could backfire on him though, assuming he is on a national station?

Yep 3FM wich I believe has most listeners over here. I was hoping he aired some TCV since 3FM/3voor12 recorded Lowlands. maybe in the future:)
    edited September 2009
    Wheels is going to Radio this Wednesday everywhere. Paul (fooarchive) being ever informative say's it'll be on Zane Lowes Radio 1 show along with a phonecall from Dave, so i'll try and get my setup sorted out and capture that.
    edited September 2009
    Tracklist according to Rolling Stone:

1. All My Life
    2. Best Of You
    3. Everlong
    4. The Pretender
    5. My Hero
    6. Learn To Fly
    7. Times Like These
    8. Monkeywrench
    9. Big Me
    10. Breakout
    11. Long Road To Ruin
    12. This is a Call
    13. Skin and Bones
    14. Wheels
    15. Word Forward
    16. Everlong (acoustic)

Everlong being on there twice is bizarre to say the least.
  • Kevin SabresKevin Sabres Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    yeah it is, i think Long Road to Ruin is too... much more popular songs they could of put on there than that.

I'll Stick Around, DOA, Walking After You, even Generator i think are more of a hit than Long Road.
    edited September 2009
    Not here in CA. Long Road to Ruin even played on the pop stations out here. It was a big hit for them in major markets. It played way more than Let it Die did. And the acoustic version of Everlong plays more out here than the electric version does. I probably hear the acoustic version at least 10 times a week here and the electric version maybe twice a week.
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone seen what formats will be available?
    All HMV, Play etc list is single CD album!
    What have expected to see a DVD as well:(
    edited September 2009
    There will be a CD version, and a CD/DVD version. But heres another weird move, the DVD will apparantly contain the video to Wheels, and footage from Wembley, Hyde Park and Skin & Bones. Why? :confused:
    edited September 2009
    So no DVD with the promos then for all their singles:confused:
    What is up with their management, we don't need stuff that we already have on DVD:mad:
    Is that the same for the US??
    edited September 2009
    So no DVD with the promos then for all their singles:confused:
    What is up with their management, we don't need stuff that we already have on DVD:mad:
    Is that the same for the US??

It gets better. This is apparantly the artwork:

foofighters.jpg
    Three editions of Foo Fighters Greatest Hits will be released - the first as a standard, 16-track CD; a deluxe version that will have an accompanying DVD of “select” Foos music videos, a 28-page bound book that chronicles the band’s career, and various live performances “captured at Wembley Stadium, Hyde Park, the intimate Skin + Bones tour,” and “a few possible treats for Easter egg hunters”; and a 180 gram vinyl edition.

I'll probably just buy the Vinyl and wait for the CD versions to get knocked down in price.
    edited September 2009
    Picture will not show for me but is it the same artwork that amazon is showing (Metalwork like an aircraft panel with the FF logo in the centre)??
    edited September 2009
    Picture will not show for me but is it the same artwork that amazon is showing (Metalwork like an aircraft panel with the FF logo in the centre)??

Indeed.
    edited September 2009
    A bit retro then:rolleyes:
    edited September 2009
    I know they have art directions, but i don't really see what it has to do with FF? It seems it was knocked up in ten minutes in photoshop.
    edited September 2009
    Something Def Leppard might have use at their peak:eek:
    edited September 2009
    Here is the Wheels single cover that I found over at amazon
    51t%2BnyDo9dL._SS500_.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Just a friendly reminder, if you happen to find a recording of Wheels please don't post any links here, we don't advocate the sharing of copyrighted material.

Thanks.
    edited September 2009
    Good interview with Dave on Radio 1 featuring Wheels, acoustic Everlong and even a snippet of TCV's Elephant:D
    edited September 2009
    Good interview with Dave on Radio 1 featuring Wheels, acoustic Everlong and even a snippet of TCV's Elephant:D

Yeah i recorded it, uploading now (just an MP3 of the interview for now). The Elephants clip was just from youtube i think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ntyme4oad4m
    edited September 2009
    They put Wheels on youtube if you wanna hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIjxGY3Kok&feature=sub
    edited September 2009
    You can also listen to it on Radio 1's Zane Lowe blog page along with his review
    "Hmmm... What kind of a mood are the Foos in this time? For one of two new songs on thier forthcoming Greatest Hits, we find Grohl & Co. in classic rock mode. Wheels is about as perfect an example of Tom Pettyesque american rock as you can get. I love it. But then that's predictable. The Greatest Hits is more than just a collection of singles in chronological order. As Dave pointed out to us earlier, it's a musical document that traces a 15 year journey that has more twists and turns than you may think. Great Band, Greatest Hits!"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/zanelowe/
    edited September 2009
    Here are the details for the Greatest Hits (CD & DVD) as listed at play.com (U.K)
    Foo Fighters
    Greatest Hits (CD & DVD)
    £11.99 Free Delivery
    Pre-order. | Due for release on 02/11/2009

Special Features DVD
    I'll Stick Around
    Big Me
    Monkey Wrench
    Everlong
    My Hero
    Walking After You
    Learn To Fly
    Next Year
    All My Life
    Times Like These
    Low
    Best Of You
    DOA
    Resolve
    The Pretender
    Long Road To Ruin
    Wheels
    Everlong
    Breakout
    Skin And Bones
    All My Life

CD Track List
    All My Life
    Best Of You
    Everlong
    The Pretender
    My Hero
    Learn To Fly
    Times Like These
    Monkeywrench
    Big Me
    Breakout
    Long Road To Ruin
    This Is A Call
    Skin And Bones
    Wheels
    Word Forward
    Everlong (Acoustic)
    edited September 2009
    Deluxe edition will also include a 28 page book with never before seen photos!
    edited September 2009
    Just heard on today's Radio 1 Chris Moyles show that Dave will be on soon:D
    Aled announced guests coming on but no date:cool:
    edited September 2009
    Just heard on today's Radio 1 Chris Moyles show that Dave will be on soon:D
    Aled announced guests coming on but no date:cool:

It will be around the end of October i assume to tie in with all of the other Greatest Hits promotions here.
  • Hugo BerthierHugo Berthier Recording History Freak
    edited September 2009
    edited October 2009
    Watch the wheels video if you're in the US:
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1622718/20090930/foo_fighters.jhtml