Community

Forum

Dave finally admits 'I'll Stick Around' is about Courtney

Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Got the latest issue of Mojo today that has a big retrospective type interview in it. In one of the parts about the songs there is a tidbit about I'll Stick Around:
"One of only three songs on the Foo Fighters' debut album written after Cobain's suicide, I'll Stick Around initially attracted as much attention for it's lyrical bite ("How could it be/I'm the only one who sees/Your Rehearsed Insanity?") as for it's crunching Husker Du-style riffs and soaring chorus. "I've denied it for 15 years", Grohl tells MOJO, "but, yes, it's about Courtney Love."

It didn't really take a genuis to figure that out, but it's funny he's finally admitting it.

Comments

• Stuart CassStuart Cass Founder & Administrator
    edited November 2009
    Wow I never thought I'd see that. Guess he finally doesn't give a shit about that now he's got his family and his career all sorted out. Good on him now we just need him to admit Stacked Actors is about her too if he hasn't already lol.
  • Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Wow I never thought I'd see that. Guess he finally doesn't give a shit about that now he's got his family and his career all sorted out. Good on him now we just need him to admit Stacked Actors is about her too if he hasn't already lol.

Yeah he's admitted that was about her a couple times. I think once (maybe 7/12/02 if I'm not mistaken?) he says it on stage and then they played the song. If I can remember back that far (man I'm old) I think when the S/T actually came out everyone though I'll Stick Around was about Kurt. That theory was mostly based on the lyrics at the end of the song.
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited November 2009
    Yeah he admitted to Stacked Actors, but not I'll Stick Around.

There is of course the Kings College show where Dave says that none of the songs are about Kurt, which I believe, but he never mentioned Courtney.