Community

Forum

X-French Tee Shirt cover - fake?

Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Someone posted this on the official board earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYgCME0R5vU

I've never heard it before but to me it's fake, it apparantly first circulated years ago as an MP3 via napster and the like (A breeding ground for fakes/mislabels).

The voice at the very end is Dave but the rest just isn't to me. There is no audience noise and it sounds like a little garage or something. What do you think?

Comments

• Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited September 2010
    They covered this song on 8/9/95. Craig Wedren came out and did the vocals on it I believe. I haven't listened to this version but I have a copy of the live version if it's not the same as this. My copy of this show is ANA(4). I haven't put it up to torrent yet because I wanted to find a lower gen copy first. This was a rare show back in 1995 though even so I don't know where we're gonna find one.
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited October 2010
    Ok yeah I have 08/09/95 labelled as ANA(1) > CDR that i'm assuming Kevin torrented after getting is mislabelled from Mr Marteny. It's just labelled cover/jam?? there and it's not on the live guide so I never knew about it. The sound quality of the version i posted above sounds totally different though, check it out when you get chance.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I noticed that the quality is different. My thinking is that it's a fake recording with Dave's voice added on at the end. Or it's a long shot but it might be another sourceof this show or another unsurfaced show from this tour where they played this and nobody knew about it. My guess is it's a clever fake though.
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited October 2010
    It seems to be the same recording, just from another source. Either a totally new source or a much better generation of this source.
    edited October 2010
    It's too bad we can't trace this back to where it came from. Would be nice to have a lower generation of this. I only saw it one time and it's the guy I got a copy from. Everyone who had it that I've known got it from me. Kind of a bummer.
    edited November 2010
    So I was pulling stuff into my 1995 folder and gave this another listen. It is Dave doing vocals on this not Craig Wedren. At the end Dave says goodnight and then comes back to say that was a Shudder to Think cover. They just started doing it on the fly after their set was over. Someone just started playing it and the band must have decided to do it last minute. Still wish we could find a better copy of this.....mine is pretty hissy.