Community

Forum

Foo Fighters Announce 2 UK Dates at the Milton Keynes bowl in 2011

Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Saw this news article and thought I would post here. Hopefully someone here can get tickets and tape these!

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1979082

Sorry if you've already seen this. Killer line-up!

Comments

• Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited October 2010
    Not sure If I'm going to go to this. Decent line up as you say but tickets are £50 each and MK Bowl is a shit venue.
  • edited October 2010
    I'll be going for sure, haven't seen any of their 'BIG' shows yet, soo yeah. 50£ doesn't really seem too expensive for a norwegian, a show like this over here would easily have cost something between 75-100£. Not getting my hopes up about the bowl though, warm up gig(s) maybe?

any word on a presale? I'll be at work the 5th.
  • Brad CollinsBrad Collins Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited October 2010
    No idea on a presale. I would just keep checking your favorite ticket website and see if anything comes up. Don't know when the shows are even. I just saw 2011. I'm gonna be on the look out for an LA show so I can fly down for it. Would love to see another one of those secret gigs again. If anyone sees anything about one please hit me up.
  • Stuart CassStuart Cass Founder & Administrator
    edited October 2010
    There very well may be a warm up secret gig considering there are no other dates scheduled so far and it's their first Foo Fighters show in a while but we probably won't hear much about that until closer to the time.

I'm probably gonna go because my little sisters dying to see the Foo's and my parents live all of 25 minutes from Milton Keynes. Like people said though it's a shit venue so unless you can get Golden Circle tickets it might not be worth it. I'm a bit disappointed with the lineup to be honest though none of them are really my cup of tea I think the only thing I wouldn't mind is a couple of Jimmy Eat World songs. Considering the lineup we had at Hyde Park though I think we were spoiled because I really <3 Motorhead + QOTSA.

We'll see how it goes I suppose.. I'm sure they'll end up gigging some more in the UK after they've started a full on tour. Maybe they'll end up hitting the festival circuit straight after.
    edited October 2010
    Well if you end up going Stuart I can sell you some gear I have extra. Right now I have 2 MD recorders and my Tascam DR-07 so I could part with one of my MD recorders. Want to keep one of them for a back up in case my WAV recorder craps out. I had a Sony TCD-D8 but I sold that on ebay for $200 a couple months ago. I wanted to unload it before nobody was interested in DAT anymore.

I don't know what money's like for you now. I know it was slim awhile ago. I will sell you one MD unit and a set of homemade binaural mics cheap though. All you'd need is a battery box and you'd be good to go. The mics sound surprisingly good. I recorded Sunny Day with them last year.

The only thing is the MD I can part with has no digital out so you'd have to send MDs out for transfer but I would be happy to do them for you. Just a thought cause I know you wanted to get into taping. I'll even throw in some blank MDs for you too if you want. I have like 30 sitting here at the house.
    edited October 2010
    Well if you end up going Stuart I can sell you some gear I have extra. Right now I have 2 MD recorders and my Tascam DR-07 so I could part with one of my MD recorders. Want to keep one of them for a back up in case my WAV recorder craps out. I had a Sony TCD-D8 but I sold that on ebay for $200 a couple months ago. I wanted to unload it before nobody was interested in DAT anymore.

I don't know what money's like for you now. I know it was slim awhile ago. I will sell you one MD unit and a set of homemade binaural mics cheap though. All you'd need is a battery box and you'd be good to go. The mics sound surprisingly good. I recorded Sunny Day with them last year.

The only thing is the MD I can part with has no digital out so you'd have to send MDs out for transfer but I would be happy to do them for you. Just a thought cause I know you wanted to get into taping. I'll even throw in some blank MDs for you too if you want. I have like 30 sitting here at the house.

I'm in two minds about it.. I'd love to see them again cos it's been so long and the Foo's being the Foo's they'll no doubt play a good solid show, there'll be debuts of new songs + the potential to have a rare oldie thrown in too judging by their revisiting of past material in recent times. I'm just not sure whether I'd want to sit around most of the day watching bands I'm not really interested in just to wait for the Foo's I'm not as hardcore as I once was lol.

I still want to get into taping but moneys beyond tight right now, as soon as I get paid it's going straight out and I'm having to borrow money off of my parents for food it's that bad. The only way I'm getting to maybe goto this gig is as a xmas present. Maybe I should ask for Rock Band 3 instead lol.

Ahhhhhhhhh...
  • Miki JohansenMiki Johansen Collaborator & Donator
    edited October 2010
    I still want to get into taping but moneys beyond tight right now, as soon as I get paid it's going straight out and I'm having to borrow money off of my parents for food it's that bad. The only way I'm getting to maybe goto this gig is as a xmas present. Maybe I should ask for Rock Band 3 instead lol.

Ahhhhhhhhh...

If you end up going and want to tape, I´d be happy to lend you my gear.

Not that I want to keep you from selling your´s Brad.
    edited October 2010
    You know what after reading the Foo's BBS, realizing I can get in on the O2 presale on Wednesday at 9am quite easily and watching this video of the guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBWoIxJCIA

I think I might just go.. what the hell you only live once! Might even see if I can wrangle it to go both days so I can get to go with a friend of mine. I think if you get Golden Circle tickets it won't be so bad all things considered sound wise + view wise. It's a premium price you pay but as long as the atmospheres good it should be a good gig. Not the best gig ever but a comeback gig should have some good energy to it.

Simon let me know if you do end up going we should meet up for real this time round lol.
  • Robert BowmanRobert Bowman M.I.A.
    edited October 2010
    You know what after reading the Foo's BBS, realizing I can get in on the O2 presale on Wednesday at 9am quite easily and watching this video of the guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBWoIxJCIA

The ad was shown on prime time tv last night during the X Factor
    edited October 2010
    The ad was shown on prime time tv last night during the X Factor

It sure was.. I got called into the living room and was like woahhhh :eek: Didn't think it was going to be advertised on such a large scale like that. It's making me think perhaps getting in on the presale might be harder than I thought lol.
  • Robert BowmanRobert Bowman M.I.A.
    edited October 2010
    It sure was.. I got called into the living room and was like woahhhh :eek: Didn't think it was going to be advertised on such a large scale like that. It's making me think perhaps getting in on the presale might be harder than I thought lol.
    It was the best thing about X Factor:D
    Last week it was the Currys/PC World Star Wars Ad:D
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys presale on this starts tomorrow morning. Just got the email from the mailing list. I know the mailing list has had problems in the past so if anyone didn't get the email and wants to buy tickets just PM me. I will give you the password.
    edited November 2010
    Ok apparently it's not a password but a link to a site to buy. 2 different links for the 2 shows. You have to be a member of the postboard too because it asks you to login to the site. If you want the links PM me with your email address and I'll forward the email to you. Sorry for any confusion this caused. Just want you guys to get tickets if you want to go.
    edited November 2010
    Tickets purchased :checkit:
    edited November 2010
    Nice! Don't know what your situation is Stuart regarding who you're going with but if you need gear let me know. I can get some to you. I know Miki offered his up to. Since these shows are put on by the band I'm sure they'll play at least 1 new song. I'm fiending to hear some new stuff from this album. Especially after Dave said there's not even an acoustic guitar in the studio.....all electric baby!
    edited November 2010
    Can't buy tickets even If I want to, my card got taken by an ATM last week and still waiting for a replacement. £55.95 is still too pricy for me though considering the venue and support not to my taste apart from JEW.
    edited November 2010
    Nice! Don't know what your situation is Stuart regarding who you're going with but if you need gear let me know. I can get some to you. I know Miki offered his up to. Since these shows are put on by the band I'm sure they'll play at least 1 new song. I'm fiending to hear some new stuff from this album. Especially after Dave said there's not even an acoustic guitar in the studio.....all electric baby!

Well I'm taking my little sister with me as it'll be her first ever gig so I'm not sure about recording because she talks wayyyy too much. I am trying to see if I can afford to get tickets for the Saturday though and go on my own then. If I can do that taping wouldn't be a problem.

Definately looking forward to the prospect of new songs though without a doubt! Also expecting them to do a Husker Du cover seeing as they've got Bob Mould there.. not really a fan but it's something out of the ordinairy lol.
    Can't buy tickets even If I want to, my card got taken by an ATM last week and still waiting for a replacement. £55.95 is still too pricy for me though considering the venue and support not to my taste apart from JEW.

Thats a pain in the arse mate for sure. I see what you mean though I completely agree with the support acts. Compared to Hyde Parks lineup it's pretty tame.

Also I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of a Golden Circle but to be fair with the price being what it is a GC would make this gig cost silly money and it's only really worth it if you love every band playing. We're really only going to see the Foo's pretty much, we only know a few JEW songs and thats it.
    edited November 2010
    Someone on the BBS said at another gig there was a golden circle but it was first come first served into it. Obviously that was then, doesn't mean the FF gig will be the same.

I'm still in two minds whether to get a ticket, it'd be a decent show but after Dave's comment on Radio 1 about doing the big gig first then the smaller gigs afterwards I think i'd rather wait for those, or just the full arena tour. I'd rather see two dates at an arena that one show at MK Bowl for the same price.

I hope they don't release a DVD/BD of the show as well, it's getting a bit boring for the DVD to be of a big UK show. I'd much rather a sweaty arena show on DVD like EBH.
    edited November 2010
    Someone on the BBS said at another gig there was a golden circle but it was first come first served into it. Obviously that was then, doesn't mean the FF gig will be the same.

I'm still in two minds whether to get a ticket, it'd be a decent show but after Dave's comment on Radio 1 about doing the big gig first then the smaller gigs afterwards I think i'd rather wait for those, or just the full arena tour. I'd rather see two dates at an arena that one show at MK Bowl for the same price.

I hope they don't release a DVD/BD of the show as well, it's getting a bit boring for the DVD to be of a big UK show. I'd much rather a sweaty arena show on DVD like EBH.

Yeah I saw that.. been keeping up with the BBS the past few days. I think if theres a first come first served GC that would take the piss considering we all paid the same price for our tickets. Sure even without a GC it's still first come first served on finding a good spot to stand but I don't see the point of specifically marking off an area like that unless the bowl has a built in GC they can't remove which would be fair enough.

It'll be a decent show, bit of atmosphere and some new songs but the smaller gigs/full arena tour is bound to be better. A bit more intimacy + they'll have a feel for the setlist too by then. The prices will be better and there'll be more of a chance to see them and taping wise it should sound better too. Just have to wait and see when they are actually gonna announce some dates.

I'm mainly going because MK is on my parents doorstep and I've got my little sister into the Foo's bigtime so it makes sense really. Would much prefer Earls Court or somewhere like that though.

Also I don't think they'd release it on DVD/BR purely because this gig will have some uncertainty to it with regards to the new songs. Unless the guys are sure they've got them down properly they might not want to record + release them on video like that.. what if the fans reacted badly to it lol. Although there is the recurring theme of big gigs being filmed lately so you never know.
    edited November 2010
    The album will be out long before these shows though so they'll have played the new stuff for q while before these shows i would have thought.
  • Kevin SabresKevin Sabres Collaborator & Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    it sounds like the album is gonna come out like in may or june ish time, do a little bit of promotional tv shows and what not then this right away.

this is just all so confusing because the albums is only halfway done and no release date even and already have a couple of shows booked.

there just gonna do these and some festivals at the same time. I'd imagine they might just stay there and do those other tour dates at smaller arenas that you mentioned Simon, but who knows maybe just this and festivals then come back to the states then go back for it.

this just has me all confused but now i want to see them bad lol i wanna try to see at least 3 arena shows this tour,a nd if they do that vegas thing again im thinking ill go to vegas for taht
    edited November 2010
    The album will be out long before these shows though so they'll have played the new stuff for q while before these shows i would have thought.

Oh yeah thats a given, I just meant in a live scenario it'd be the first time they'd be performing them unless anything pops up between now and then.
    edited November 2010
    Well after talking to Chris at those Dead Peasants shows he said they'd like to release the record late spring/early summer. After talking to someone else whose name i'd rather not mention it's looking to be in the time frame Chris stated. That would mean these shows would be right after the press tour or smack dab in the middle of it. Going by that rationale and how they've done things in the past I would say these shows will be right before or a little after the record is released. Either way the songss will still be fresh so it will be nice to hear them live.

I'm just really hoping they leave out the acoustic portion of the sets this timme around. Kinda tired of that by now. Just being honest. I would rather they just go balls out and rock for 2 hours instead. I'm sure that won't happen but I'm staying optimistic. Hopefully I can see a small gig like Palladino's again and kick this album off to a good start like last time around!
    edited November 2010
    You know what thats a good point Brad about the acoustic portion of the show. They've been doing it for a couple of years now so perhaps they fancy a change with that too considering they didn't do any acoustic stuff on the record either.

They are a good acoustic band when they want to be but I think it works a lot better when they perform it as a seperate wholly acoustic show like how they did for Skin and Bones.