Community

Forum

Allister Lobb's "Unknown" an early "Arlandria?"

LazewskiLazewski Newcomer
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
I was listening to this "Unknown" song? & it sounded very similar to "Arlandria" in certain sections, has it been confirmed or asked before if these two are related at all? :shrug:

Dave Grohl, his Sister Lisa and friend Mike Nelson recorded this session under the alias 'Allister Lobb'. All songs recorded were instrumentals using Barrett's Tascam 38 ½" 8-track recorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftT83hlA45o

Comments

• Hugo BerthierHugo Berthier Recording History Freak
    edited September 2011
    Which section of the song are you talking about?

This isn't the same tempo or chord progression, I don't really get it..
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited September 2011
    Yeah sorry I'm not hearing any similarities there at all, it sounds more like Exhausted and even that isn't that similar.

By the way I have some interesting information about this session to add soon...
  • LazewskiLazewski Newcomer
    edited September 2011
    Guitar parts only, (obviously)

0:25 on the unknown maybe around 1:32.

& here's Arlandria, start on 0:50.

It seems longer on the unknown than what's in Arlandria but the way the guitar and drums go together on both sounds sorta similar, that is if you're able to tune out the vocals/bass. Might just be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHp_JLtxck
    edited September 2011
    I'm still not really hearing it but to be honest even if they are similar I doubt it's because Dave remembered this song he wrote in 1992 and used some of the riffs for Arlandria, more a coincidence.
    edited September 2011
    Oh I see your point, there's a LITTLE similarity between the main riff of the AL song and Arlandria's chorus.

I do not have any guitar with me right now, but by hear I can tell you that the first chord is barely the same, and you can sing Arlandria's chorus over the Allister Lobb song.

But, this isn't the same rythm, isn't the same drums (which is very important in any Foo Fighters song, we all know that) and the overall "feeling" of the song is really different,
    Like Simon said, this look more like Exhausted or early Foos songs, and I'm pretty sure Dave didn't used this old song for Wasting Light.

Anyway, Simon, can you tell us more about what you've found about this session ? :D

Or is this secret until the next update of the session guide...
    edited September 2011
    Hugo Bliss wrote: »
    Anyway, Simon, can you tell us more about what you've found about this session ? :D

Or is this secret until the next update of the session guide...

Hmm, not sure. I'm still waiting for some absolute confirmation on the info.
    edited September 2011
    Okey, but you're teasing us :p
  • Curtis HierroCurtis Hierro Member
    edited September 2014
    Hmm, not sure. I'm still waiting for some absolute confirmation on the info.

Not sure if I missed this in your book what was this info??
    edited September 2014
    Not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure I was referring to the fact it was Mickey Thomas playing guitar on the songs, not Mikey Dees as was long believed. Info came from Barrett via Paul Brannigan.
    edited January 2015
    So a correction, the above info is wrong. Mikey Dees has been in touch with us and said it most certainly was him on the session, not Nicky Thomas. Paul Brannigan must've misunderstood something Barrett told him, because Mikey said he spoke with Barrett recently and he didn't recall telling anyone that.

This will be corrected back to rectify it soon.