Community

Forum

Saint Cecilia EP available for Download / Stream

Comments

• CrashSG32CrashSG32 A River
    edited November 2015
    I love everything about this! The buildup, the fact that they released a true DRM free FLAC version, Dave's letter...
    Truly brilliant!

Though the fact that it's free is reminding me of the U2 album from a couple years ago that all Apple users received for free. I guess the Foo Fighters have much more sense than that, because they nailed everything about this release :)
  • Simon KilmoreSimon Kilmore Skinny as a spit pan
    edited November 2015
    Definitely nice that they offered a high-res FLAC version but I wish the mastering was better, it's very loud and harsh when cranked up. There is a small chance they'll make a new master for the Vinyl in February but highly unlikely, they didn't bother before. It'll likely just be the same master, but lowered volume.
  • CrashSG32CrashSG32 A River
    edited November 2015
    That's definitely something I noticed, but it's not like the other albums are much better :o I know Wasting Light is definitely louder than necessary as well, which sucks because there's no way to listen to the Foo's but cranked up!
    edited November 2015
    CrashSG32 wrote: »
    That's definitely something I noticed, but it's not like the other albums are much better :o I know Wasting Light is definitely louder than necessary as well, which sucks because there's no way to listen to the Foo's but cranked up!

They have indeed been loud for a long time but for me this is the first release that really sounded badly distorted when cranked up. The numbers corroborate this as well, the dynamic range values are:
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.21 dB 3:42 01-Saint_Cecilia
    DR5 0.00 dB -5.45 dB 2:11 02-Sean
    DR4 0.00 dB -4.96 dB 3:11 03-Savior_Breath
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.59 dB 4:11 04-Iron_Rooster
    DR4 0.00 dB -5.87 dB 4:45 05-The_Neverending_Sigh

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 5038 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    =================

Sonic Highways, by comparison:
    foobar2000 1.3.5 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2014-11-11 00:14:02

Analyzed: Foo Fighters / Sonic Highways

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.66 dB 4:48 01-Something From Nothing
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.69 dB 3:50 02-The Feast and The Famine
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.12 dB 5:12 03-Congregation
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.30 dB 5:44 04-What Did I Do?/God As My Witness
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.09 dB 5:15 05-Outside
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.56 dB 4:04 06-In The Clear
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.24 dB 6:08 07-Subterranean
    DR6 -0.04 dB -8.26 dB 7:09 08-I Am A River

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1619 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Not much better obviously, but just not quite as harsh. The songs are great, I just don't understand why it had to be so loud.
  • Jason AugensteinJason Augenstein Friend of a Friend
    edited November 2015
    Was pleasantly surprised to see Iron Rooster is DR8. At least 1 song doesn't sound too bad!
  • Zac PenriceZac Penrice Member
    edited January 2016
    Does anyone know what songs on this are older somgs? And what were there working titles, i did read that 7 corners is on st cecillia.
    edited January 2016
    Does anyone know what songs on this are older somgs? And what were there working titles, i did read that 7 corners is on st cecillia.

'7 Corners' was worked into 'The Neverending Sigh', we don't know on any others unfortunately. It's possible Saint Cecilia was maybe called 'Days Gone By' based on the lyrics but who knows if they were all written recently or just had SC worked into them. If they're all recent, obviously not.

FF early/working titles for songs tend to be descriptive of their style, more than taken from any early lyrics. Flagger for White Limo because they thought it sounded like Black Flag, Tom Petty for Halo because of, well, the obvious and so on.
  • Zac PenriceZac Penrice Member
    edited February 2016
    '7 Corners' was worked into 'The Neverending Sigh', we don't know on any others unfortunately. It's possible Saint Cecilia was maybe called 'Days Gone By' based on the lyrics but who knows if they were all written recently or just had SC worked into them. If they're all recent, obviously not.

FF early/working titles for songs tend to be descriptive of their style, more than taken from any early lyrics. Flagger for White Limo because they thought it sounded like Black Flag, Tom Petty for Halo because of, well, the obvious and so on.

Thanks for the info, i have read your ebook so i know some of the working titles. Did read somewhere that all songs were older songs reworked but was unsure i believed that.

Also on your ebook would love to see an updated version :) as it was a good read.